Closing date: Thursday 26 October 2023
Contact: Yvonne Mackie, Funding Advisor: Funding@wcc.govt.nz
Past allocations: See past allocations (296KB PDF)
About this fund
The Social and Recreation Fund supports projects and organisations delivering services that contribute to our Long-term Plan. We prioritise projects that show evidence-based need and have positive social wellbeing impact across one or more of our priorities.
The focus of this funding round will be to support projects and areas consistent with outcomes from both our Tūpiki Ora Māori Strategy and Strategy for Children and Young People:
- Enhancing and promoting te ao Māori
- Building the capability of mana whenua and Māori
- Supporting whānau and communities to thrive
- Ensuring children and young people (aged 0-24) have the basics
- Making Pōneke welcoming for our diverse children and young people
- Providing pathways to opportunities for children and young people
- Supporting young people (aged 0-24) to become actively involved in their local communities
As part of these strategies, we are prioritising applications that aim to support tangata whenua or rangatahi (aged 0-24), with an emphasis on projects submitted from these groups.
Applicants must be a legal entity. Groups or organisations that are not a legal entity can apply using an umbrella agreement with another organisation. Applications are made through the online funding portal. See the funding calendar for closing and decision dates.
Only project expenses that start after the decision date are eligible for funding.
- The application is from a legal entity.
- The project is Wellington-based and benefits the people of Wellington.
- Projects show evidence of community support, collaboration, and building partnerships with other organisations.
The Council has a number of strategies and policies in place to deliver on our 2040 vision and improve wellbeing for the people of Wellington. These include the Social Wellbeing Framework, Strategy for Children and Young People, Tūpiki Ora Māori Strategy, Wellington’s Sustainable Food Initiative and the Pōneke Promise.
The priorities for the Social and Recreation Fund are set with the help of these guiding documents and are listed below.
For Wellington to be an inclusive, liveable and resilient city where people and communities can learn and be connected, well housed, safe and healthy, priority will be given to projects that help ensure:
- Different communities are acknowledged and celebrated.
- The social and cultural wellbeing of Māori whanau and communities is prioritised, supported and invested in.
- People can acquire knowledge, skills and experiences with emphasis on children and young people.
- There are opportunities to connect and engage.
- Housing and wrap-around support is available for people in need.
- Harm reduction initiatives support community health and safety.
- Physical and mental wellbeing is improved through sport, recreation and volunteering.
Operational support for residents and progressive associations (maximum of $1000)
Priorities will be given to organisations that:
Demonstrate a positive and inclusive approach to working with all residents, building connections and neighbourliness.
- Communicate regularly with local residents in the area and have an up-to-date online profile.
- Have an active membership of 10 or more, excluding the committee, meeting regularly (outside their AGM), keep minutes of these meetings.
When submitting an application residents and progressive associations should:
- give a summary of their current membership and how often they hold meetings
- provide a copy of minutes from recent meetings.
Read the information on this page, then register and apply online through our funding portal: Funding Portal - Apply online
Check your application status
You can apply for the fund through our Funding Portal. You can also check your application status if you've already applied for funding. If you receive an error message when trying to access the funding portal on a mobile device, please use these instructions or contact the Funding Team.
Go to Funding Portal