Eat and drink
Cafe culture and the great Kiwi tradition of going out for brunch is well established in the city. Check this guide on where to go for brunch around Cuba Street, other pockets of the city and a couple of beaches for some great views with your breakfast / lunch:
Top notch brunch spots - WellingtonNZ.com
Wellington is a beer lover's dream, with plenty of bars serving the best local drops. Lonely Planet even named us 2017's best beer destination in New Zealand - cheers to that.
Specialist craft beer bars - WellingtonNZ.com
If you’re partial to a spot of shopping, make some time to stop into a few of Wellington’s boutiques, quality vintage and second-hand shops as well as the weekend’s fresh food and craft markets.
Shopping - WellingtonNZ.com
Top 10 things to do in Wellington
1. Walk along the waterfront and visit the dynamic and interactive national museum, Te Papa:
Te Papa Tongarewa - Museum of New Zealand
2. Get your city bearings and some of Wellington’s best views:
Mount Victoria Lookout - WellingtonNZ.com
3. Ride the historic cable car to the Botanic Garden:
Wellington Cable Car
4. A guided tour is the best way to get quickly acquainted with Wellington. Meet Wellington’s coffee roasters or take a tour with a movie extra from ‘The Lord of the Rings’:
Guided Tours - Our Picks - WellingtonNZ.com
5. Taste your way around the city. Wellington is said to have more bars and restaurants than New York and is the craft beer capital with its specialist brew bars.
Bars and Restaurants - WellingtonNZ.com
Craft Beer Capital Beer Trail - WellingtonNZ.com
6. Hear the birdsong and spot a tuatara as you walk through Zealandia: The Karori Sanctuary Experience.
7. Get an inside peek into Wellywood at the Weta Cave in Miramar:
Weta Cave Visitor Information
8. Go stargazing and check out an amazing planetarium show:
Space Place at the Carter Observatory
9. Meet the meerkats or feed a lion on a Close Encounter at Wellington Zoo:
10. Head to Cuba Street for a slice of Bohemia, boutique shopping and some of the best coffee in town:
New Zealand’s Coolest Street - WellingtonNZ.com
WellingtonNZ.com is your guide to our fine city and the wider region. If you’re after information on the best events, awesome cafes, bars, shops and restaurants, or places to stay, you’ll find it on WellingtonNZ.com