Overnight parking in Wellington
If you arrive after 4pm in our peak season, November to April, you will probably find our campgrounds are already full. You need to make arrangements to stay at a facility in the Wellington region. See Campermate app for availability.
Barnett Street Car Park on the Wellington Waterfront is not available to freedom campers.
Full-service campervan parks in Wellington
If you need a serviced motorhome carpark in Wellington, visit:
Restricted camping on public land is allowed in Wellington City for self-contained campervans at the following two sites:
- Southern end of the Marina car park at Evans Bay (271KB PDF)
- Te Kopahou Reserve entrance car park at Te Kopahou Reserve (274KB PDF)
Fishing, gathering and harvesting is prohibited at Te Kopahou Reserve.
Watch for extreme weather. This area often has high winds so make sure you secure your rubbish and belongings so they don't get blown around.
Freedom camping restrictions
- You can camp at either of these sites for a maximum of four nights in any single calendar month. If you stay longer, you can be fined.
- Make sure you only park within the areas designated for self-contained campervans.
- These sites are not suitable for tents.
Public dump stations
Wellington's three purpose-built stations for responsible disposal of waste and sewage are located at Evans Bay Marina, Ngaraunga Gorge and Tawa Swimming Pool.
Find a public dump station