Many other concerts have been held at the Town Hall, including pop, country, classical, chamber and pipe organ.
Visitors have also experienced a host of other events such as:
- comedy and choral shows
- cultural celebrations
- debutantes’ balls
- funerals of well-known Wellingtonians
- political rallies and conferences
- sporting events like wrestling and boxing matches.
The Town Hall has hosted various royal visitors including Queen Elizabeth II during her 1953-1954 Commonwealth tour (pictured in the photo gallery).
Average annual visitor numbers and events
Before the Town Hall closed to the public in 2013, it's average visitor numbers each year included:
- more than 34,000 people seeing one of 60 performances
- more than 8,000 people networking and learning at one of 30 local or international conferences
- 20,000 people taking part in a ceremony, wedding or ball
- nearly 7,000 people attending a private dinner or cocktail party
- more than 11,000 people attending to a private event such as a meeting or seminar.
For information about alternative venues while the Town Hall is upgraded, phone the Council’s contact centre on 04 499 4444.
To find out more about the national centre for musical excellence, see the fundraising website.
For architectural details about Wellington Town Hall , see:
Town Hall Architectural History
To learn more about the Town Hall's earthquake strengthening project, see
Town Hall Strengthening - About the Project