We lead Wellington’s global engagement and promote formal city-to-city relationships.
We engage with our international cities to foster cooperation and partnerships that benefit our city and communities economic, cultural, social and environmental wellbeing.
Our main objectives are to:
- encourage business, trade, educational, cultural exchanges and projects between our partner cities
- facilitate strategic connections through memberships in international networks to enhance opportunities for dialogue
- raise Wellington’s profile internationally, improving our reputation and enhancing our competitiveness on the global stage
- share resources, knowledge, expertise and best practice approaches on tackling emerging issues
- increase city-wide cultural awareness.
We’re also involved in organising events in collaboration with international partners, including our sister cities, foreign embassies and community associations in Wellington.
Benefits for our city
International connections can provide our local businesses with a foot in the door to some very large markets, which supports the growth of our small and medium size enterprises.
Partnerships with other cities can also attract more tourists to Pōneke, supporting local businesses and boosting the economy.
Building relationships with cities and institutions overseas offers our schools, universities and cultural organisations opportunities to engage with people from diverse backgrounds, providing invaluable learning experiences and deepening cultural understanding.
City relationships also expose our local community to different cultures which can foster mutual respect, tolerance and understanding. This is important to ensure Pōneke remains a welcoming and inclusive city for all.