The Council (te Kaunihera) is required to produce such a statement under section 40 of the Local Government Act 2002, and must update it within six months following each triennial election. Te Kaunihera may also update this Local Governance Statement at any other time.
Accordingly, the Local Governance Statement provides the public with information under the following broad categories:
- Functions, responsibilities, and activities of te Kaunihera.
- Governance structure and processes.
- The way elected members make decisions.
- The way elected members relate to each other and to the management of te Kaunihera.
- Electoral arrangements.
- Public access to key individuals and official information.
- Key policies of the local authority.
- Local legislation effecting te Kaunihera.
The governance statement will be updated from time to time to ensure it is accurate and up to date.