Shipping containers

When you hire a shipping container, place it on your property wherever possible – if that’s not possible, you will need to apply for a permit or make a corridor access request.

A shipping container on your own property doesn't need a permit

You don't need a permit if the shipping container is on your own property

Shipping containers are a convenient way of moving household goods and furniture. But if they're not placed on your own property, they can cause traffic and parking problems.

If the container is there for up to 14 days

You'll need a permit.

Applying for a permit

If you need a permit, you need to apply for one at least 10 working or business days in advance. 

Apply for a shipping container permit

When we’ve received your application, we’ll process and return it to you with a permit number attached. If for some reason, we can’t issue you with a permit, we’ll contact you to discuss other options.

Neighbour's permission

If you can't put the shipping container directly outside your property and instead want to place it outside your neighbour's property, you will need to get your neighbour's permission. In this case, we will ask for your neighbour's contact details and you will need to provide proof of their consent.



Skip bins and shipping containers information sheet (207KB PDF)

Time frame

We process the permit within 10 working or business days of receiving the application. We need this timeframe to make sure that there are no safety or traffic flow issues. In some cases, a site visit may be required.


The following fees apply:

  • A $100 processing fee
  • If the container is placed in a parking space to which a fee applies, you'll be charged for the use of that car park at a daily rate of $45 per car park. Note that you can't put a shipping container on:
    • mobility and diplomatic parking spaces
    • loading zones or clearways.

Your permit will not be valid until these fees are paid.

Terms and conditions

You need to position your shipping container safely:

  • Place it so that it’s not hazardous or a nuisance to any road or footpath user. (Otherwise you’ll need to remove it at your own cost.)
  • Make sure it has white markings and reflective markings so it can be seen at night – depending on the location, you may also need to make sure it is illuminated at night. 
  • If you’re placing it on Council property (which includes roads, footpaths, berms and public areas), these are the minimum requirements:
    • white and reflective markers (100mm x 100mm minimum) facing oncoming traffic
    • clearly named with the bin company’s contact details (24-hour contact number)
  • Place it away from manhole covers and access points to underground services or fire hydrants. 
  • Place it wholly on the road (not partially on kerb edge or footpath), using blocks if needed for levelling.
  • Leave at least 4m of clear road between it and the outside edge of the car park on the opposite side of the road so that emergency services can get through if they need to.
  • Leave at least 1m between it and driveway access points so that vehicles can easily go in and out.
  • Place it on the road only when it’s required – it can only be there for a maximum of 14 days – it can’t be stored there.

If the container is there for longer than 14 days

You'll need to make a Corridor Access Request (CAR) rather than applying for a permit. To apply for a CAR, create an account on our online portal: Submitica

Legal provisions

We can ask for the shipping container to be moved or relocated at any time if it is hazardous or a nuisance. If you don’t comply when we ask you to move the shipping container, we may move it at your expense.

These are the sections of the Wellington City Consolidated Bylaw 2008 that apply:
Section 9.9 
Section 13.1

More information

Phone (04) 499 4444