Skip bins

When you hire a skip bin, place it on your property wherever possible – if that’s not possible, you may need a permit.

Private waste contractor's skip bin.

You don't need a permit if the skip bin is on your own property

Do you need a permit?

When you hire a skip bin, place it on your property wherever possible. If you can’t, then you will need a permit if you want to place the skip bin:

  • either partly or wholly on any footpath or grass verge (berm)
  • within 15m of a pedestrian crossing, intersection or corner
  • in a restricted parking area such as a residents parking zone or loading zone
  • on a busy main (arterial) road
  • in the central business district or suburban centre on Council property, eg roads, footpaths and public areas.

Applying for a permit

If you need a permit, you need to apply for one at least 2 working or business days in advance. 

Apply for a skip bin permit

When we’ve received your application, we’ll process and return it to you with a permit number attached. If for some reason, we can’t issue you with a permit, we’ll contact you to discuss other options.

Neighbour's permission

If you can't put the skip bin directly outside your property and instead want to place it outside your neighbour's property, you will need to get your neighbour's permission. In this case, we will ask for your neighbour's contact details and you will need to provide proof of their consent.



Skip Bins and Shipping Containers - Information Sheet (71KB PDF)


A skip bin permit is free – unless the skip bin takes up a car park space.

If the skip bin is placed in a parking space to which a fee applies, you'll be charged for the use of that car park at a daily rate of $40 per car park. Note that you can't put a skip bin on:

  • mobility and diplomatic parking spaces
  • loading zones and clearways.

Your permit will not be valid until the car park fee is paid.

Terms and conditions

You need to position your skip bin safely:

  • Place it so that it’s not hazardous or a nuisance to any road or footpath user. (Otherwise you’ll need to remove it at your own cost.)
  • Make sure it has white markings and reflective markings so it can be seen at night – depending on the location, you may also need to make sure it is illuminated at night. 
  • If you’re placing it on Council property (which includes roads, footpaths, berms and public areas), these are the minimum requirements:
    • white and reflective markers (100mm x 100mm minimum) facing oncoming traffic
    • clearly named with the bin company’s contact details (24-hour contact number)
  • Place it away from manhole covers and access points to underground services or fire hydrants. 
  • Place it wholly on the road (not partially on kerb edge or footpath), using blocks if needed for levelling.
  • Leave at least 4m of clear road between it and the outside edge of the car park on the opposite side of the road so that emergency services can get through if they need to.
  • Leave at least 1m between it and driveway access points so that vehicles can easily go in and out.
  • Place it on the road only when it’s required – it can only be there for a maximum of 14 days – it can’t be stored there.
  • For “half skips”, position them so that the opening is facing away from oncoming traffic travelling on the same side of the road.

Legal provisions

We can ask for the skip bin to be moved or relocated at any time if it is hazardous or a nuisance. If you don’t comply when we ask you to move the skip bin, we may move it at your expense.

These are the sections of the Wellington City Consolidated Bylaw 2008 that apply:
Section 9.9 
Section 13.1

More information

Phone (04) 499 4444