Notified resource consents

If your application is likely to affect the public or your neighbours, you will need to follow the process for a notified resource consent.

There are two types of notified resource consents:

Limited notification

When assessing a resource consent application, the Council planner may see that certain parties are affected by the proposal. If there's no written approval from these parties provided with the application or after the planner has requested it, the planner may decide that the application needs to be processed as a limited notified consent.

For example: you apply for resource consent for a new house that covers a high percentage of the area of the property, in a place where you can only build on 35% of the area under the District Plan. As this would mean that your neighbours lose a lot of privacy and sun, the planner decides that they are "affected parties" and the limited notification process begins.

Public notification

The Council planner may decide a resource consent application affects the wider community to a ‘more than minor’ extent, or the applicant can decide they will submit their proposal as a publicly notified consent because of the impact it may have on the community.

For example: because of the visual effect on the landscape from a proposed wind farm, the applicant decides to submit their application as a publicly notified consultation.

Notified resource consents process

There are different processes to follow

  • if your proposal needs to be notified
  • if you’d like to make a submission because you’re considered an affected party
  • if you’d like to make a submission on a publicly notified consent.

The Ministry for Environment (MfE) explains

Making a submission

Make sure you complete the submission form and include your contact details, especially if you wish to speak at the hearing. 

Please note that for 'limited notified' applications we can only accept your submission if you have been identified as an affected party.

If you feel uncomfortable speaking and would like your submission read out, feel free to bring someone to speak on your behalf. This person cannot offer their own opinion outside of what was written in the original submission, and cannot make another submission on their own behalf.

MfE explains the formal process for giving appearing at a hearing, and has a guide to help you do well on the day.

How long does it take?

There are timeframes we must follow to meet Resource Management Act (RMA) requirements.

From when submissions close until a decision is issued

  • a limited notified application takes 60 days
  • a publicly notified application takes 90 days.

What happens if I don’t like the decision?

If you don’t like the decision and you were the applicant or a submitter, you have 15 working days to make an appeal to the Environment Court. Your guide to the Environment Court explains how this works.

Publicly notified consents

You can view and download any current publicly notified consents on our website. You can also email or phone (04) 801 3590 if you’d like to receive it on a compact disc.