Under the Health Regulations 1966, the Local Public Health Bylaw 2008, and the Wellington Consolidated Bylaw 2008, if your business or operation falls under one of the following categories, you need to register with council and display your licence:
- hairdressers or barbers
- funeral home
- commercial pool and spa
- school pool
- animal boarding house (such as dog kennel or cattery)
- poultry farm
- an offensive trade, as listed in Schedule 3, Health Act 1956
Activities that do not require a licence
The following activities do not require registration. However, you are still required to undertake these activities in a safe manner. See links to guidance resources at the bottom of this page.
- Customary tattooing
- Skin piercing
- Laser hair removal
- Beauty therapy.
Apply for a registration
Use the form below for:
- a new licence/registration
- a change of occupier.
Application for registration of premises (39KB PDF)
Send your completed form:
- by email: firstname.lastname@example.org – we'll send you details for paying fees.
- by post – include a cheque for fees:
PO Box 2199
- in person at our Service Centre – fees can be paid using cash, cheque, EFTPOS and credit card.
You can pay your annual re-registration online using your credit card. You'll need your reference number which you'll find in the re-registration pack sent to you. Select 'Food sellers' as payment type.
Late payments are calculated as charge + 10%. You can pay either online or at the Council's Service Centre.
||Charges (GST included)
|Change of owner
|Mortuaries / funeral directors
|Pools: commercial pools / spas
|Schools pools (no entry fee)
|Animal boarding establishment
|Poultry farm / piggery