Health licences

If your business or operation falls under certain categories, you need a licence from us.

Under the Health Regulations 1966, the Local Public Health Bylaw 2008, and the Wellington Consolidated Bylaw 2008, if your business or operation falls under one of the following categories, you need to register with council and display your licence:

  • campground
  • hairdressers or barbers
  • funeral home
  • commercial pool and spa
  • school pool
  • animal boarding house (such as dog kennel or cattery)
  • piggery
  • poultry farm
  • an offensive trade, as listed in Schedule 3, Health Act 1956

Activities that do not require a licence

The following activities do not require registration. However, you are still required to undertake these activities in a safe manner. See links to guidance resources at the bottom of this page.

  • Tattooing
  • Customary tattooing
  • Skin piercing
  • Laser hair removal
  • Beauty therapy.

Apply for a registration

Use the form below for: 

  • a new licence/registration
  • a change of occupier.

Application for registration of premises (39KB PDF)

Send your completed form:

  • by email: – we'll send you details for paying fees.
  • by post – include a cheque for fees:
    Public Health
    PO Box 2199
    Wellington 6140
  • in person at our Service Centre – fees can be paid using cash, cheque, EFTPOS and credit card.

Annual re-registration

You can pay your annual re-registration online using your credit card. You'll need your reference number which you'll find in the re-registration pack sent to you. Select 'Food sellers' as payment type.

Pay online

Late payments

Late payments are calculated as charge + 10%. You can pay either online or at the Council's Service Centre.


Service Charges (GST included)
Change of owner $200
Camping grounds $250
Hairdressers $130
Mortuaries / funeral directors $155
Pools: commercial pools / spas $250
Schools pools (no entry fee) Nil
Animal boarding establishment $250
Poultry farm / piggery $155
Offensive trades $310

More information

Public Health team

Phone 04 499 4444
Postal Address PO Box 2199, Wellington
Street Address 12 Manners Street, Wellington