Gambling consents

To operate a gambling machine or gambling venue in Wellington city, you must apply for consent from the District Licensing Agency.

Apply for gambling consent

Operating gaming machines outside of casinos is categorised under the Gambling Act 2003, as Class 4 gambling because of the high risk.

Gambling Act - NZ Legislation

If you want to operate gaming machines in Wellington city, you must apply for a Class 4 Venue Licence from Wellington City Council.

This applies to:

  • new gambling venues
  • existing gambling venues that began operations any time after 17 October 2001
  • existing venues that want to increase the number of gaming machines at that venue
  • existing venues that want to start operating gaming machines which were not on the premise's licence within the previous six months.

Return your completed application to:

More information

Public Health team

Phone 04 499 4444
Postal Address PO Box 2199, Wellington
Street Address 12 Manners Street, Wellington

Apply for a gaming licence

Once you have received a gambling consent from the Council you must also apply for any gaming licences required by the Department of Internal Affairs.

Casino and Non-Casino Gaming - Department of Internal Affairs

Council policy

The Council has a Gambling Venues Policy to:

  • Manage the growth of gaming machines - The policy sets a maximum number of machines that can be operated within suburban areas of the city.
  • Ensure supervision - The policy requires gaming machine venues to have a current on-licence with a designation, a club liquor licence, or a permanent club charter under the Sale of Liquor Act 1989.

Gambling Venues Policy

All Gaming Venue Zone PDFs in the list below open in new windows.