Boundary activities

If the only District Plan rules your home build or extension infringes are boundary rules, you may be able to apply for a boundary activity instead of a resource consent.

Check if you meet the criteria

If you're building or extending your home, you may be able to apply for a "deemed permitted boundary activity" instead of a resource consent if:

  • the only District Plan plan rules your project infringes are boundary rules – for example, the building recession plane – and no other District Plan rules are infringed
  • none of the infringed boundaries are public boundaries – for example, a park or a road, and
  • the neighbours who share the infringed boundary have given their written approval.

What are boundary rules?

Boundary rules are rules in the District Plan that relate to your property's boundaries. They include rules about:

  • recession planes – how high a structure can be in relation to the boundary
  • yard setbacks – how far from the boundary you can build a structure
  • decks more than 1.5 metres above ground level built near boundaries
  • fences and retaining walls.

If your proposal infringes rules relating to site coverage or maximum height, you'll need to go through the standard resource consent process.

Resource consents

Note: If you're not sure whether a rule is a boundary rule or not, you can contact a planner on 04 801 3590 or email

How to apply

After your application is submitted and you've paid your application fee, the process takes 10 working days.

1. Know what you need to provide

With your application, you'll need to supply:

  • a description of your project or activity
  • a plan (drawn to scale) of the site, showing the height, shape, and location of the proposed project or activity
  • the full name and address of each owner of a property with an infringed boundary
  • a completed approval form from each of these property owners, including their signatures on the plan.

Written approval for deemed permitted boundary activity (507KB PDF)

If you don't provide all of the information above, your application will be declined.

2. Submit your application

Application for deemed permitted boundary activity (503KB PDF)

By email

In person

By post

3. Pay the fee

Applying for a deemed permitted boundary activity costs $465. 

Pay online

Pay in person

By post

4. We assess your application

If we agree that your proposal is a boundary activity we will provide you with a written notice stating that the activity is permitted.

If we find your proposal infringes other District Plans rules or that your application doesn't meet the criteria, you'll need to apply for a resource consent instead.

Note: If we spend extra time processing your application, you may be charged a further fee.

Resource consent fees

Need help?

The Resource Consents team is available Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.

Resource Consents team
Phone: 04 801 3590