Object to an application

If you want to object to an alcohol licence application, you must be in a position of 'greater interest' than the general public.

You have 'greater interest' if you are likely to be more affected by the licence than most other people. For example, if you live in the same street as the proposed licensed premises you could be in a position of greater interest, compared with someone who lives 10km away and has general concerns about the effects of alcohol on the community.

It is not possible to make an anonymous objection under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012. We are required to forward a copy of all objections to the alcohol licence applicant, including the objector’s name and contact details. Objector details will also be passed on to the District Licensing Committee as well as other parties to the application eg NZ Police, Medical Officer of Health and licensing inspector.

Before filing your objection, you may wish to read the Health Promotion Agency’s recommendations on how to draft an objection.

What you can object to

The following may be grounds for objection:

  • suitability of the applicant
  • days and hours alcohol is proposed to be sold
  • days and hours the club premises will be used for club activities
  • proposed designation of the premises (whether minors will be allowed on the premises)
  • lack of enforcement for the minimum age requirements
  • lack of non-alcoholic refreshments and/or availability of food
  • the sale and supply of goods and services other than alcohol or food
  • whether the application meets the object of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 (to minimise the negative impacts of alcohol on the community)
  • the design and layout of any proposed premises
  • whether the “amenity and good order of the locality” would be reduced by more than a minor extent
  • whether the “amenity and good order of the locality” is already badly impacted by existing alcohol licences
  • whether the applicant has capable, well trained staff and good systems in place to meet their responsibilities when supplying alcohol

When the alcohol licence application is considered ”amenity and good order of the locality” will take into account elements such as:

  • noise levels (relating to the licensed premises)
  • nuisance and vandalism (eg wilful damage, graffiti and crime)
  • the number and types of licensed premises in an area
  • community, educational or other facilities in the vicinity of the proposed licensed premises.

How to object

If you want to object to an alcohol licence application, see: How to lodge an objection.

More information

Alcohol Licensing Services

Phone 04 801 3760
Email secretaryDLC@wcc.govt.nz
Fax 04 801 3012
Monday – Friday: 8am – 5pm