These awards are designed to recognise volunteer groups making valuable contributions to their communities. They are supported by the Wellington Airport, in partnership with Wellington Community Trust, Wellington City Council and the four other local councils.
The awards reward the valuable contribution made by volunteers. You may nominate any not-for-profit group or organisation working in the interests of the community, including one of which you are a member. The Awards are designed to recognise past achievements and do not exclude community groups who use professionals to support the delivery of services undertaken by volunteers.
Nominations for 2018
Nominations for the 2018 Community Awards will open in early 2018, and can be made online on the Community Awards website.
The awards have five categories:
- Arts & Culture - Enhance and increase participation in arts and creative leisure activities
- Education & Child/Youth Development - Improvement or enhancement of the educational and social development of children / youth
- Health & Wellbeing - Enhancing the health and wellbeing of our community
- Heritage & Environment - Improvement or revitalising of the environment, culture or heritage
- Sport & Leisure - Increase participation and enjoyment in physical sport, leisure activities and recreational pursuits
Rising Star award
The Rising Star award is designed to recognise and encourage emerging and grass-roots groups doing great things in our community. To qualify, the groups or projects need to have been in operation for less than two years (after April 2014), be 100% volunteer run, be new to our Community Awards, and not part of a national organisation.
2017 categories and award recipients
Arts and Culture
Enhance and increase participation in arts and creative leisure activities.
- Winner – Barbarian Productions
- Runner up – Wellington Access Radio
- Concerned Citizens Collective
- Oriental Cultural and Performing Arts Group Incorporated
- TEDx Wellington
- The Hobby Lounge creative studio
- Vogelmorn Community Group
- Wellington City Chorus
Educational and Child / Youth Development
Improvement or enhancement of the educational and social development of children or youth.
- Winner – Youthline Wellington
- Runner up – Wellington Boys’ & Girls’ Institute (BGI)
- Johnsonville Antenatal Class
- LearnCoach Charitable Trust
- Mission for Youth
- Newtown Youth Programme
- Wellington North Parents Centre
- Wellington Playcentre Association (Inc)
Health and Well-being
Enhancing the health and wellbeing of our community.
- Winner – Victim Support Wellington
- Runners up – Drug-ARM Wellington Inc and Heart Kids Wellington
- Birthright Wellington Incorporated
- Camera Base Wellington Volunteers
- Cats Protection League Wgtn Inc
- ChangeMakers Refugee Forum
- Diabetes Youth (Wellington) Incorporated
- Good Bitches Baking Trust
- Hygiene For Homeless
- Newtown Community & Cultural Centre
- Shri Ram Chandra Mission
- Skylight Trust
- Wellington City Mission - Mission for Independence Volunteers
- Wellington South Community Patrol
- Wellington SPCA
- Wellington Timebank
- WorkerBe Oasis
Heritage and Environment
Improvement or revitalising of the environment, culture or heritage.
- Winner – Polhill Protectors
- Runner up – Ghost Fishing New Zealand
- 1918 Influenza Project Karori Cemetery
- Friends of Tawa Bush Reserve
- Innermost Gardens
- Manawa Karioi Ecological Restoration Project
- Mount Victoria Vermin Trappers
- New Zealand Institute of Architects Wellington Branch / City Talks
- Newtown Tool Library
- Sustainable Coastlines Charitable Trust
- United Sri Lanka Association
Sport and Leisure
Increase participation and enjoyment in physical sport, leisure activities and recreational pursuits.
- Winner – WORD – Wellington Off-Road Riding Department
- Runner up – Johnsonville Lions Club
- Harbour City GymSports
- Kids Cross Country Series
- LFC Wellington
- South Wellington Seido Karate
- Special Olympics Wellington
- Wellington Dragon Boat Festival
- Wellington Harriers Athletics Club
- Wellington Mountain Bike Club
Rising Star Award
Chosen to recognise and encourage new or smaller groups doing great things in our community.
- Winner – Hygiene For Homeless
- Runner up – WorderBe Oasis
The Polhill Protectors are a group of local volunteers dedicated to creating harmony between people, pets, and wildlife in Polhill Reserve. They work with volunteer trappers and have a focus on bush restoration, which has resulted in the endangered saddleback bird successfully breeding again in the Polhill Reserve.
Contact Mark Farrar.