These awards are designed to recognise volunteer groups and what they do.
They are supported by the Wellington Airport, in partnership with Wellington Community Trust, Wellington City Council and the four other local councils.
Winners of the 2019 Wellington Community and Accessibility Awards
The awards celebrate the valuable contribution made by volunteers. Nominations can be made for any not-for-profit group or organisation working in the interests of the community, including one of which you are a member.
The Awards are designed to recognise past achievements and do not exclude community groups who use professionals to support the delivery of services undertaken by volunteers.
Winners of the 2019 Community Awards were announced on 31 July 2019.
The awards have five categories:
- Arts and Culture - Enhance and increase participation in arts and creative leisure activities
- Education and Child/Youth Development - Improvement or enhancement of the educational and social development of children / youth
- Health and Wellbeing - Enhancing the health and wellbeing of our community
- Heritage and Environment - Improvement or revitalising of the environment, culture or heritage
- Sport and Leisure - Increase participation and enjoyment in physical sport, leisure activities and recreational pursuits
2019 Wellington Community Awards Winners
Arts and culture 2019 winners
Enhance and increase participation in arts and creative leisure activities.
- Winner – Wellington Batucada
- Runner up – Asian Events Trust for Chinese New Year Festival
- Bulgarian Society Horo
- Pacifica Wellington Central Branch
- Wellington International Pride Parade
- The New Zealand Chinese Culture and Arts Association
- Wellington Access Radio
- Wellington Red Hackle Pipe Band
- The Latin Collective
- Wellington City Chorus
- Churton Park Community Association
Educational and child/youth development 2019 winners
Improvement or enhancement of the educational and social development of children or youth.
- Winner – InsideOUT KŌARO
- Runner up – Manky Chops
- Wellington City Cadet Centre Evans Bay
- Paparangi Scout Group
- Wellington Hindi School
- Youthline Wellington
- Chinmaya Mission
- Seatoun Football Club – Junior Football
- Wellington Sri Lankan School
- Island Bay Marine Education Centre
- NZ English Language Partners
Health and well-being 2019 winners
Enhancing the health and wellbeing of our community.
- Winner – Good Bitches Baking
- Runner Up – Changemakers Refugee Forum
- Birthright Wellington
- Mount Vic Hub
- Ronald McDonald House
- Mafutaga Tagata Matutua
- Wellington Hospitals Foundation
- Drug-ARM Wellington Inc
- Kiwi Community Assistance
- Lyall Bay Dads Club
- Kilbirnie Lyall Bay Community Centre
- Wellington Timebank
- Heartfullness Sathya Sai Service Organisation
- InsideOUT KŌARO
- Samaritans of Wellington Inc.
Heritage and environment 2019 winners
Improvement or revitalising of the environment, culture or heritage.
- Winner – Predator Free Miramar
- Runner up – Jay Street Nursery Community Volunteers
- Glenside Progressive Association Inc.
- Wellington Trade Aid Trust
- Innermost Gardens
- Bulgarian Society Horo
- Wild Aro
- The Share Shack
- Pest Free Tawa
- Pest Free Mt. Vic
- Ghost Fishing New Zealand
- Free for All
Sport and leisure 2019 winners
Increase participation and enjoyment in physical sport, leisure activities and recreational pursuits.
- Winner – Lazy Sneakers
- Runner up – Evans Bay Junior & Youth Sailing, Evans Bay Yacht & Motor Boat Club
- World Marudào Karate Organisation
- Coastguard Wellington
- Toitū Pōneke Community and Sports
- Wellington and Kāpiti Motorcycle Club
- Rehua Kai Tangata, 12th Heaven Jiu Jitsu
- Strathmore Ballers
- Miramar Bowling Club Inc.
- Lyall Bay Surf Life Saving Club
Rising Star Award
The Rising Star Award is designed to recognise and encourage emerging and grass-roots groups doing great things in our community. To qualify, the groups or projects need to have been in operation for less than two years, be 100% volunteer run, be new to our Community Awards, and not part of a national organisation.
Rising star award 2019 winners
Chosen to recognise and encourage new or smaller groups doing great things in our community.
- Winner – The Latin Collective
- Runner Up – Strathmore Ballers
Supreme Winner 2019
Good Bitches Baking
For their compassion and dedication, Good Bitches Baking is honoured as the Supreme Winner of the 2019 Community Awards.
Good Bitches Baking is a network of people who want to show kindness to those in their communities who are having a tough time. They do this by baking delicious treats and giving these treats away to families with children in hospital, food bank recipients, soup kitchens, residents in hospice and their loved ones, and women and children fleeing domestic violence. These sweet treats bring a piece of joy to those who are having a tough time.
Contact Mark Farrar.