- Clear PET (Plastic Grade 1), e.g. plastic clear bottles and clear containers, is processed in Wellington by Flight Group Ltd. These are recycled into food grade packaging.
- Opaque and white plastic number 2 (HDPE) e.g. the majority of milk bottles, goes to Astron in Auckland, where it is reprocessed into plastic feedstock.
- Coloured plastic numbers 1 & 2 (PET/HDPE) and plastic number 5 (PP) is currently sent overseas for recycling, and is reprocessed into plastic pellets which will be used in manufacturing new products.
We are working hard to find partners within New Zealand who can process our recyclables into new materials, so in future we won’t need to send anything overseas.
Cans and tins
Aluminium and steel cans go to Macaulay Metals, and are then sent overseas to be reprocessed.
The colour sorted glass goes to O-I New Zealand, in Auckland. The glass is then mixed with other raw materials and fed into a furnace where it is melted down to make bottles and jars.
Paper and cardboard
- Paper goes to the Oji Fibre Solutions mill in Penrose, Auckland (this mill uses 100% recovered paper to make corrugated cardboard).
- Cardboard goes to the Oji Fibre Solutions mill in Kinleith, Tokoroa (this mill uses recycled cardboard and new wood fibres to make new cardboard).