There are few more elegant buildings in Wellington than this neo-Georgian design, built for the Wellington Commercial
Travellers’ and Warehousemen’s Association.
Completed in 1930, it was designed by Atkins and Mitchell. Divided horizontally into three main parts, the building’s most interesting features are the exposed brick shaft and recessed balcony on the top storey, a neat feature, which suffers only from the absence of its balustraded parapet.
The Association, which occupied the ground and ﬁrst ﬂoors, left the building in 1978 when it was bought by the Northern United Permanent Building Society, from which its present name is derived.
Image reference: Alexander Turnbull Library G1001801/2