Founded in 1872, South British Insurance Company was a signiﬁcant New Zealand business that achieved international success.
South British occupied this site for 100 years — previously leasing part of the CBA’s former building — and built it’s only purpose-built ofﬁce here in 1936. The building was designed by Auckland architect M.K. Drafﬁn who also designed South British’s Auckland ofﬁce.
The design, principally neo-Georgian on a Chicago-style ofﬁce building, was much less daring than the Prudential Insurance building next door.
South British merged with New Zealand Insurance in 1982.