This building was erected in 1929–30 and designed by Francis Stewart, who was for some time Fletcher Construction’s resident architect. The building was originally owned by the Bristol Piano Company, and one ﬂoor was given over to use as a piano showroom. It later became known as the Hamilton Nimmo Building and is now owned by the Hibernian Friendly Society.
The most obvious feature of this building is its polychromatic exterior brickwork. Unfortunately a corner tower on the building was destroyed during an earthquake in 1942.
Image reference: Alexander Turnbull Library F204501/2