This building was designed in the ofﬁce of Government Architect John Mair and completed in 1930.
The building housed the Wellington East (later Cambridge Terrace) Post Ofﬁce on the ground ﬂoor and, for much of the 20th century, the Post and Telegraph’s Radio Section on the remaining ﬂoors.
It is a typical example of late 1920s’ architecture, particularly in the way that its neo-Classical style is adapted for the ‘skyscraper’ form. Its proportions, with the large base, stepped shaft and recessed wings, impart the building with considerable dignity.
The upper storey additions were added in 2003, when the building was converted into a backpackers’ hotel.
Image reference: Wellington City Council Archives 00138:0:1435