Brandon House is signiﬁcant for its connection with the Brandon family and the law ﬁrm founded by Alfred de Bathe Brandon, an early settler and solicitor. The building was designed by Francis Stewart, also responsible for the Hibernian Building, and construction was completed in 1931.
Brandon House is a good example of a transitional design, incorporating elements of the Chicago School, New York skyscraper architecture and Art Deco. Particular features of note are the heavy mouldings at the top of both visible facades (the only example in Wellington of the use of such decoration) and the spandrel panels, which were covered up for many years. Inside are original panelled lifts, machinery and ﬂoor indicators, also very rare. In the image shown, the decorated panels and bold cornice mouldings are both very evident here.
Image reference: Alexander Turnbull Library G100825 1/2