The City to Sea Walkway starts in the heart of central Wellington near Parliament and ends at the south coast, 12km away in Island Bay.
The walkway is closed to mountain bikes.
Along the way, you will:
- visit the Botanic Garden and two historic cemeteries
- pass several observatories
- see the famous Cable Car, Victoria University and a plant nursery
- walk through part of Aro Valley with its turn-of-the-century cottages, 14 parks and reserves, several children’s play areas, and public golf course
- walk along bushy Town Belt tracks, exposed ridge tops and through native and exotic vegetation
- get spectacular views of central Wellington, the southern suburbs of Newtown, Berhampore and Island Bay, Government House, historic Erskine College, the Brooklyn wind turbine, Mount Victoria, Mount Kaukau and Cook Strait
- see the more distant views of the Tararua, Rimutaka and Kaikoura ranges.
The walk takes about 6−7 hours but can be done in stages. To complete the entire walk in 1 day you will need a good level of fitness.
Although the route is called city to sea, the marker posts mean you can walk it in either direction.
For public transport options, check the Metlink website.
City to Sea walkway
Download the brochure or check out our Welly Walks app which has images, maps and instructions for the City to Sea Walkway.
Dogs must be on leads outside dog exercise areas. Please remember to clean up after your dog and dispose of the waste appropriately.