What the policy covers
As well as road encroachments, the policy covers residential and commercial applications for:
- airspace encroachment – including balconies, conservatories and eaves that encroach into airspace above legal road
- subsoil encroachment – including building foundations, underground parking spaces and underground tanks
- Town Belt encroachment – applications for encroachments onto Town Belt land are not permitted.
Road Encroachment & Sale Policy
1. Protection of rights
The public have unimpeded access to legal road for free pedestrian and traffic movement.
2. Protection of community amenity
The road corridor adds to streetscape value and environmental and ecology purposes.
3. Public and private benefit
Unformed legal road can have significant public benefit by providing space for utilities and adding amenity value.
4. Disposal of assets
Wellington's topography and legal road layout means that some parts of the legal road may never be needed for Council business.
The public can see how encroachment and road stopping applications are evaluated.
The Encroachments team is available Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.
Phone: 04 801 4266