If you're notified that your building is potentially earthquake-prone

You have a range of options if you’ve been notified that your building is potentially earthquake-prone.

How it works

We will send you a letter notifying you if your building has been identified as being potentially earthquake-prone. You will then have 12 months to provide a response to the Council.

You can respond to this notification one of four ways:

  • By providing an engineering assessment

This can be a new assessment of the building, or an assessment of the building you’ve already had carried out. This assessment will confirm the building’s earthquake rating (NBS) and must be carried out by a suitably qualified structural engineer. Your engineer will be able to advise you on what the assessment needs to include. This assessment will be used to confirm whether the building is earthquake-prone or not; or

  • By confirming that the Council should use the engineering assessment on file

If the Council already holds on file an engineering assessment for the building we will notify you that you can choose to use this assessment to confirm that the building is earthquake-prone; or

  • By providing evidence of an error

This evidence must show that the Council has made an error in identifying this building as potentially earthquake-prone; or

  • By providing written confirmation that you do not intend to provide an engineering assessment

If you advise us that you do not intend to provide an engineering assessment the Council will proceed as though the building is earthquake-prone.

Need help?

Email: buildingresilience@wcc.govt.nz 
Phone: 04 499 4444