How it works
To extend the time your resource consent is valid for, you need to show you have made efforts to fulfill the purpose and conditions of the consent. We recommend applying at least 6 months before your consent lapses.
In most cases, you have 5 years from the day the resource consent is granted – however, you need to check the conditions on your consent for any specific time frames.
If your consent lapses before your extension has been approved, you will need to apply for a new resource consent.
How to apply
Once your application is submitted, the process takes up to 20 working days. If we need you to provide more information, the process will take longer and you may be charged extra fees.
1. Know what you need to provide
You'll need to provide:
- a statement specifying how much extra time you are seeking
- a timeline showing all progress that has been made since the original consent was granted
- written approval of anyone considered affected by the granting of a time extension
- assessment of effects of the time extension on the policies and objectives of any District Plan or Proposed District Plan.
2. Submit your application and pay the fee
Download the form
Extension of time for resource consent application (84KB PDF)
It costs $1040 to apply for an extension of time. You may get a refund or an invoice depending on how long it takes us to process your application.