Most of the footage captured by the sensors is processed and discarded within seconds. The exception is where a small amount of footage is recorded during the initial setup of the sensor to make sure it’s working correctly. And then occasionally for validation purposes.
This footage will be held securely by our supplier, VivaCity, and will only be viewed by authorised people to validate that the sensor is working correctly if it's damaged. It will be deleted at the end of our partnership.
The sensors are not designed or intended to be surveillance technology. No attempt will be made to identify individual people or vehicles from sensor data.
Using the data
The Council will use the traffic data collected by the sensors to:
- provide insights on how Wellington’s transport network is used
- make decisions on transport strategies and city planning
- monitor economic and transport impacts during construction in the city
- better understand how people are using our streets, for example, using bus stops, visiting businesses, or where people prefer to cycle.
This data can be combined with other data sets, such as weather conditions, retail spend, and road closures, for better informed decision making.
Sensors are mostly positioned on street lights and traffic signal poles. Signs are displayed at each location, so you know a sensor is operating.
Sensors are at these locations so far. More sensors will be installed over time.
- Adelaide Road / Luxford Street
- Cambridge Terrace / Buckle Street
- Cambridge Terrace / Courtenay Place
- Chaytor Street / Birdwood Street
- Churchill Drive / Blackbridge Road
- Featherston Street / Whitmore Street
- Grant Road / Park Street
- Hutt Road / Jarden Mile
- Hutt Road / Kaiwharawhara Road
- Karori Road / Hatton Street
- Karori Road / Homewood Avenue
- Karori Road / South Karori Road
- Lambton Quay / Willis Street
- Lambton Quay / Woodward Street
- Miramar Ave / Shelly Bay Road
- Rintoul Street / Riddiford Street
- Rongotai Road / Onepu Road
- Taranaki Street / Manners Street
We’ve partnered with VivaCity to install the sensors. VivaCity is an experienced and award-winning company, renowned for its privacy-by-design approach and highly accurate sensor technology.