Prevent bike theft
Bike theft is becoming more common – reduce your risk of theft by following these simple steps.
- Get a good quality lock. There is great advice on what kind of lock to get on Consumer NZ's website.
- Make sure the frame is securely locked to the bike park with a good quality d-lock or heavy-duty chain lock. Just locking the wheels is not good enough.
- Use a lighter cable lock to secure the front wheel to your frame.
- Take all attachments such as lights, GPS and cameras off the bike when leaving locked up.
- Avoid locking your bike or e-scooter to white poles on the footpath, as these are not secure and can often easily be lifted out.
- Try to choose a high traffic area to discourage potential thieves.
Locky docks provide free, secure bike parking and you can charge your e-bike (using your own charger) at no cost. Find out more on the locky dock website.
Register your bike
With Cycle Wellington, Greater Wellington Regional Council, NZ Police, and local bike shops, we’re encouraging bike owners to register their bikes with 529 Garage.
It’s a free app that makes it possible for other local app users to keep an eye out for missing bikes and can help the police return bikes to their rightful owners.
Register with 529 Garage