Closing date: Last business day of each month
Contact: Sustainable Transport Coordinator, email@example.com
Value: $50,000 available to allocate this financial year. See past allocations (150KB PDF)
About this fund
Funding is available for workplace programmes, infrastructure and services that will encourage employees to actively commute to work.
The fund is focused on encouraging getting to and from work by active modes – such as walking, jogging and biking – rather than travelling by private vehicle, but all applications that meet the criteria will be considered.
Publicly contestable funds are a good way to maximise the value of ratepayer money. The number of people developing and implementing projects to encourage active transport in their own workplaces is greater than what could be achieved by a Council officer working directly with workplaces. Fairly distributing and giving preference to organisations that are prioritising active transport will give the greatest return on investment for the Council.
All criteria must be met or the application will not be accepted.
- The business, and programme or initiative, is in Wellington City (up to and including Tawa, but not Porirua or Petone) and the project benefits people travelling to, or to and from, the premises.
- The applicant is a legally constituted employer or organisation.
- Any past Council funding must be disclosed in the application.
- Projects may not be funded for the same purpose more than once in any financial year from the Active Transport Workplace Fund.
- The application is for the business or organisation’s own workplace programmes, infrastructure or services that will encourage its employees to actively commute to, or to and from work.
The application process
First, check whether your project meets the criteria above. If you are unsure, contact the Sustainable Transport Coordinator to discuss your project using the details at the bottom of this page.
You will need to provide information so we can assess your application and the project’s success. We are looking for applications that show the activity is well planned and will encourage employees to actively commute to work.
- details of the planned activity and why you are doing it
- project budget details – quotes and estimates to support the planned costs.
If you have any suggestions or questions about the process, please contact a Funding Advisor using the details at the bottom of this page. For more information about how to make a great application, head to Applications – What you need to know.
Applications will be reviewed at the end of each month, with a two week adjudicating period.
How to apply
If this is the first time you have applied to the Council for funding, read the information on the Funding Portal – Apply online page and then register to apply online.
If you have applied for funding from the Council before, you can create a new funding request by logging into the funding portal. If you receive an error message when trying to access the funding portal on a mobile device please use these instructions or contact the Funding Team.
Go to Funding Portal
If your application is successful
When assessing an application, Council considers:
- The size of the business compared to the amount of funding requested, while recognising that some costs are fixed.
- How much the project is likely to encourage the uptake of active modes in commuting to and from work.
- Whether the project will encourage use of bike paths, lanes, footpaths or shared paths.
- Evidence that the projected costs are as accurate as possible. This could be quotes from suppliers or estimates from other businesses that have run similar programmes.
- What or how the business is willing to contribute. Priority will be given to applications with matched funding by the applicant. Any funding for the programme coming directly from the business will be looked upon favourably. This is also a chance for businesses to highlight what else they are doing in the active travel space.
- Successful applicants must agree that they will complete required reporting for Active Transport Workplace Fund evaluation, so we will be looking for evidence that the proposed project includes a comprehensive project plan and will be monitored and evaluated effectively.
To receive funding you will need to complete a funding agreement and meet the terms and conditions. Funding is paid in one amount, GST added where applicable.
You need to complete the funding agreement within 14 days of receiving the email, or contact the Funding team to discuss your situation.
Successful applicants must report back within 12 months of gaining approval. If your project has a specific date (for example, an event), applicants must report back within two months of the project date.
The funds must be spent as described in the application unless a change of project scope has been requested in writing and accepted by the Council.
We encourage you to contact us to get advice about how best to approach your project or application.
Yvonne Mackie, Funding Advisor
Mobile: 021 436 291
James Smith, Behaviour Change Specialist
Phone: 021 229 6705