The Te Atakura - First to Zero timeline
- April 2019 - Over 1200 Wellingtonians were involved in the Te Atakura engagement process (5MB PDF) to help shape the First to Zero blueprint.
- June 2019 - Wellington City Councillors declare a climate and ecological emergency and adopt the Download our Te Atakura – First to Zero blueprint (2MB PDF). The blueprint sets Wellington's ambition to become a net zero carbon capital by 2050.
- August 2020 - Councillors adopt the Download our Te Atakura – Implementation Plan (650KB PDF) to achieve our target.
- July 2021 - Funding is granted through the Long Term Plan 2021-31, to deliver on key action areas over the next 10 years.
- Sept 2021 - Our 2021 Update (466KB PDF) of the plan includes a target of a 57% reduction in emissions between 2020 and 2030.
Our implementation plan is a 'living document' that will be updated and reported on yearly as the city continues towards our goal of becoming a zero carbon capital by 2050.
We must reduce our global emissions quickly, with the most significant reductions by 2030.
|Emissions reduction targets
Our previous targets as a city were set against our 2001 emissions baseline. Since we need to make the biggest reductions this decade, we have reset our targets to achieve a 57% reduction of our 2020 emissions by 2030.