Outdoor seating

If you want to use a footpath or public property for outdoor seating for patrons of your bar, restaurant, café, club or gaming venue, you must apply to the Council for a Pavement Permission.

How to apply

Complete the application form and prepare the supporting information. Send it to us with the application fee.

Application for permission to use the footpath (456KB PDF)

Apply online

Supporting information

You'll need to provide:

  • a scale plan of your proposal which clearly shows where your tables and chairs would be placed in relation to the kerb and the front of your premises (see the application form for more detail about what to show on your plan)
  • a certificate of insurance which shows that you hold Public Liability insurance of at least $1 million for any outdoor area you plan to use. 

For more information about pavement lease rules or drawing a scale plan see: Supplementary footpath information (222KB PDF)

How to lodge your application

You can give us your application:

  • in person:
    Wellington City Council Service Centre, 12 Manners Street
  • by post:
    Public Health
    Wellington City Council
    PO Box 2199
    Wellington 6140
  • by email: foodapplications@wcc.govt.nz


Item Cost
To apply for a new lease or change one you already have $190
To renew an existing lease
(pavement leases must be renewed on 1 July every year)

In addition to the above, the following lease fees apply each year:

Item Cost
Smokefree leases nil
Smoking lease (central) $90.00 per square metre
Smoking lease (suburb)
$58.50 per square metre

Outdoor dining licences are free, if you go smokefree

Smoke-free outdoors is optional

If you want to provide an area for smokers, it has to be outdoors - either on your own property or in a public area. You can choose whether you make your outdoor area smoke-free.

Smoke-free indoors is mandatory

The Smoke-free Environments Amendment Act 2003 requires hospitality venues (bars, clubs, restaurants, cafés, casinos and gaming machine venues) to be smoke-free indoors.

Smoke-free Law in NZ - Ministry of Health

Clearly display your pavement permission

You must display your pavement permission next to the seating area so it can be viewed from outside your venue. All permissions have an aerial photograph clearly showing the allowable area.

Displaying your permission will help patrons, staff and enforcement agencies to:

  • keep pedestrian areas clear
  • make sure all venues and patrons comply with the central area liquor ban.

Central City Liquor Ban


All Pavement Permissions are issued for a period of 1 year (1 July to 30 June). Annual fees include the renewal fee and a lease charge for the space.

The Council will send you a reminder before the permission expires.