How to lodge an objection

Your objection must be in writing and must be filed with the Council within 15 working days after the date of the first newspaper notice.

What to include in your objection

Your letter of objection must include:

  • the name and location of the licensed premises or proposed premises
  • why you consider you have an interest that is greater than the general public
  • valid grounds for objection
  • your signature
  • your name, address and contact details including phone number.

Sample Objection Letter (3KB RTF)

Making a joint objection

Some residents or community groups circulate petitions to gain support against an alcohol application. Others circulate a template objection letter to complete and be sent in. While these can be an effective way to boost numbers of objectors, they can also result in duplicate or illegible signatures or objections.

Petitions or template objection letters must include:

  • valid grounds for objection
  • the name and address of a spokesperson or contact person
  • a legible name and address for each objector
  • a signature of each objector.

Sample Petition-style Objection Letter (7KB RTF)

Where to send your objection

Objections can be filed by post, email, fax or in person.

  • Post: Alcohol Licensing, PO Box 2199, Wellington 6140
  • Email: 
  • Fax: 04 801 3012
  • In person: Service Centre, 12 Manners Street

Who will know about your objection

We are required to forward a copy of all objections to the alcohol licence applicant. Applicants are entitled to know the basis of any objections so they can consider whether to amend their proposal, continue with their application or prepare a response to the objections. Some applicants may invite objectors or members of the public to a meeting to discuss concerns raised.

Objector contact details will not be published or advertised, however the names of objectors and the basis of the objection may be included in the District Licensing Committee decision, which will be publicly available.

What happens to your objection

Your objection will also be forwarded to the alcohol licence applicant.

Your objection will be assessed to make sure it meets the criteria for consideration – that you have an interest greater than the general public, and that your grounds for objection meet the criteria.

Objected alcohol licence applications will be considered at a public hearing of the Wellington District Licensing Committee. You will be advised of the hearing date, time and location. If your objection is in the form of a petition, we will notify the spokesperson.

It is not compulsory for objectors to attend or speak at the hearing, however the District Licensing Committee may get a better understanding of the objection if the objector attends the hearing to speak about their concerns.

Need help?

Alcohol Licensing 
Phone: 04 801 3760

The Community Law Wellington and Hutt Valley can provide support in making objections to alcohol licensing applications and preparing submissions for District Licensing Committee (DLC) hearings.