Locals and not-so-locals will be spoilt for choice as the summer vibe buzzes with activities and events ranging from festivals to exhibitions to dragon boats to night tours – all proudly supported by Wellington City Council, says Mayor Andy Foster.
“This is a strong events programme featuring a showcase of headline entertainment for the enjoyment of our audiences, visitors and business community.
“We are committed to hosting events and activities which reflect the diversity, cultural fabric and community spirit of the capital through our grants and funding programmes, plus providing promotional support and expert advice.
“This busy summer calendar is the result of years of investment, retention and development of local talent, and support of innovative and inspiring creative minds. Most of the events are free and accessible, so we encourage everyone to get involved, get engaged and just enjoy the show.”
The Performance Arcade is bringing back its award-winning festival of arts and cultural performances and experiences to the waterfront, and the exciting new summertime arts programme WHAT IF THE CITY WAS A THEATRE? will transform public spaces into creative encounters and discoveries at every corner.
Kiwi legends will be carving up the bowl at Waitangi Park for Bowlzilla, Anika Moa will be headlining at Kotahi at Strathmore Park, and Louis Baker at Te Rā o Waitangi at Waitangi Park.
As well as other established favourites like Pasifika, Newtown Fair, Cuba Dupa, Fringe and Pride Festival, there are also some new events coming to town with the inaugural Welly Weekend and fireworks display, and the Fried Chicken Festival making their first appearance in the capital’s diary – Toi Pōneke will be opening all its doors to the public too.
- 12-31 Jan | Gardens Magic 2021
- 13-17 Jan | NZ Cycle Classic
- Fri 15 Jan | Linden Community Play Day!
- Sat 23 Jan | Wellington Pasifika Festival
- Sat 23 Jan | Wellington beach handball fun day
- 24-25 Jan | Welly Weekend
- Sat 30 Jan | Kids’ Magic in the Dell
- 30-31 Jan | Gindulgence
- Sun 31 Jan | Swim the Lighthouse
- Fri 5 Feb | Whānau Film Night (Poi E)
- 5 Feb – 28 March | WHAT IF THE CITY WAS A THEATRE?
- Sat 6 Feb | Te Rā o Waitangi
- Sat 6 Feb | Kotahi at Strathmore Park
- Sat 13 Feb | Wine and Food Festival
- Sat 13 Feb | Six60 at Sky Stadium
- 13-14 Feb | Island Bay Festival
- 13-14 Feb | Chinese New Year
- Sun 14 Feb | Valentine’s Night at Wellington Zoo
- Sun 14 Feb | ZEALANDIA Valentine’s Night Tours
- 18-28 Feb | Performance Arcade
- Sun 21 Feb | Wellington Round the Bays
- 26-27 Feb | Fried Chicken Festival
- 26 Feb – 20 March | NZ Fringe Festival
- Sat 27 Feb | Toi Pōneke Open Day
- Fri 5 March | PARK(ing) Day 2021
- Sat 6 March | Dogs ‘n’ Togs
- Sat 6 March | BOWLZILLA at Waitangi Park
- 6-7 March | Dragon Boat Festival
- Sun 7 March | Newtown Festival
- 13-27 March | Te Whanganui-ā-Tara
- Sat 13 March | Aro Valley Fair
- 20-30 March | Neighbours Day Aotearoa 2021
- Sat 20 March | Homegrown
- 27-28 March | CubaDupa