- One minute in the shower can use up to 18 litres of water. Keep it quick in the shower (about as long as a song) and make every minute count, with an efficient shower head. Find them at your local hardware store.
- Brushing your teeth? Turn off the tap! A bathroom tap uses around 6 litres of water per minute.
- Stick to the half-flush and save the full flush for when you really, really need it.
- If your whānau or flatmates don’t mind, ‘if it’s yellow, let it mellow’.
- Ignoring that slow drip in the loo? It could be using up to 28 litres of wai per day – get it checked out by a plumber. Not sure if there’s a leak? Put a few drops of food colouring in the cistern. If the colouring appears in the toilet bowl without flushing, you have a leak (you may need to wait an hour or two for the food colouring to leak into the bowl).
Find out more about water restrictions on the Wellington Water website.