As climate-conscious communities, we are becoming more aware of the waste these events can generate. Here are some simple steps that can be taken to reduce this waste and ensure we look after our taiao while out having fun this summer.
Bring your own
Events often have amazing food and drinks to try, but these delights are usually served in single-use packaging. Whether disposable, recyclable or compostable, energy and resources are used to produce and transport this packaging. To save resources and avoid waste, take a zero waste kete when you head out. Some items you could include:
- spork – or cutlery, chopsticks and reusable straw from your kitchen drawer
- container for takeaway food – an ice cream container works, or you might like something fancier like a collapsible bowl
- reusable coffee cup – use this for cold drinks as well, like bubble tea and smoothies
- drink bottle – bigger events often have water refill stations to fill up for free
- bag – to put your kit in and to stash any treasures you might find along the way.
Don’t be shy to use your reusables. Vendors love them because they save on packaging and event organisers welcome them because they save money on waste disposal and sorting, and it helps normalise climate-friendly behaviour.