Under Alert Level 2, most of Council’s services and facilities will remain the same, but contact tracing and some restrictions will be in place to keep staff and the community safe, says Mayor Andy Foster.
“We have already experienced Alert Level 2, and want to ensure we don’t go any higher, so we encourage everyone to follow Ministry of Health advice. Stay safe, stay separate where possible, stay healthy and hygienic, stay traceable, and stay home if you’re sick.
“You can also stay up to date with all Council news in the COVID-19 section of our website or for more details COVID-19 information head to the Ministry of Health for guidance.”
Ministry of Health guidelines for Alert Level 2 include:
- Washing your hands regularly and thoroughly, with soap and water for 20 seconds or more
- Coughing and sneezing into your elbow
- Staying at home if you are unwell. If you are sick call your GP or Healthline to book a free COVID-19 test, and get tested if asked
- Keeping a distance of one-metre from colleagues and customers as much as possible
- Consider wearing a mask if you are in a place or space that makes social distancing difficult
- Ensure you download and are using the Government’s COVID Tracer App or the RIPPL App – both are acceptable.
We are discouraging the use of cash at Council facilities – please use Eftpos or other contactless payments if possible.
Compulsory contact tracing will be in place through the Government’s COVID-19 app, the RIPPL app, or details will be collected at reception areas.
Key information about facilities and services at Alert Level 2:
Pools and recreation:
- All our pools and recreation centres remain open
- Please keep at least 1m physical distancing for pools, gyms and recreation centres
- Club Active is open
- Group Fitness classes at Freyberg are cancelled
- Group Fitness classes are continuing at WRAC with reduced numbers – booking required
- For more information about all pools and recreation centres at Alert Level 2 visit wellington.govt.nz/recreation
Waste, rubbish and recycling:
- Rubbish and recycling collection services are operating as usual.
- The Southern Landfill is open but with restrictions in place – the transfer station will be reduced capacity by 50% to allow for social distancing and the kiosk will be contactless payment where possible.
- The Tip Shop and Recycling Centre are open – the recycling drop-off at the Recycling Centre will be delineated to allow for social distancing.
- Contact tracing will be in place and landfill users will have their vehicle registrations noted for this purpose alone.
- All Library branches remain open – please visit wcl.govt.nz for more information
- Please check in when you arrive -–please stay at least 2m apart from other visitors
- and staff
- We are limiting the number of visitors to meet social distancing requirements, so please follow guidance from our staff
- All programmes and events are cancelled
- The Central Library consultation events for this week are cancelled but you can continue to share your views – please visit wgtn.cc/central-library.
- Motorists are expected to pay for parking in the city – and enforcement will continue
- Council committee meetings will resume on Zoom and be livestreamed on YouTube until further notice
- The Harbourside Market will not be open under Level 2 at this stage
E-scooters are operating in Wellington City at Alert Level 2. The e-scooter operators Lime and Flamingo are adhering to Ministry of Transport public health guidance for micromobility in Alert Level 2.
- Community Centres will be open and operating with contact tracing systems in place, but check with your local community centre for information on programmes and services
Local Hosts will be operating as per usual, adhering to Ministry of Health guidelines with social distancing and masks as required
- At this stage the Council is expecting staff to come to work – however staff who have been in Auckland in the past two weeks, or are considered to be at risk, have been told to work from home for the next three days at least
- Planning for Growth engagement for this week is on pause. Events details will be confirmed.
For the most up to date information about the status of all Council facilities and services please visit the Wellington City Council website COVID-19 section wellington.govt.nz/covid-19. Alert Level 2 updates are going live as they are confirmed.
For the latest Council news and Mayoral updates: News
For the latest updates on social media: Facebook and Twitter
The Support Services Map shows who to contact for support and essential services and where to find these services in your neighbourhood.
Find Government information and advice: covid19.govt.nz
Businesses and organisations can get QR codes at qrform.tracing.covid19.govt.nz. If you have any problems getting QR codes or with the NZ COVID Tracer app, please contact the Ministry of Health by phone on 0800 800 606 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
RIPPL can also read the Ministry Posters so you can still use the app of your preference – the important thing is you help contact tracing.