“It’s great to see Wellingtonians featuring so prominently in these awards, which honour those who use their passion and hard work to make our city and country better places,” Mayor Foster says.
“I’ve had the good fortune to meet many of these people and to work with their organisations, and can honestly say they are an inspiration.”
The Wellington finalists are:
- Fraser McConnell, environmentalist – Young New Zealander of the Year category
- Tabitha Besley, rainbow advocate – Young New Zealander of the Year category
- Dame Margaret Sparrow, reproductive rights activist – Senior New Zealander of the Year category
- Good Bitches Baking, charity – Community of the Year category
- Zealandia, ecosanctuary – Community of the Year category
Winners will be announced at a Gala Dinner in Auckland in February.
“I wish all of them the best of luck, but am sure I speak for all other Wellingtonians when I say that they’re already winners as far as we’re concerned.