Under the Waste Minimisation Act 2008 territorial authorities were required to develop a Waste Management and Minimisation Plan (WMMP) by 2012.
In 2011, 8 Councils adopted the first regional WMMP. The Councils agreed that a Joint Committee should be established to oversee the implementation of the WMMP.
Each Territorial Authority in the Wellington Region will be entitled to appoint one member to the Joint Committee.
The Joint Committee is not deemed to be discharged following each triennial election.
The Chair will be elected by the Joint Committee.
A new chair and deputy chair must be elected at least once every triennium following local body elections.
Frequency of meetings
The Joint Committee will meet on an as required basis.
Hosting of meetings
Meetings will be hosted on a rotational basis by territorial authorities across the region. The Committee shall establish a roster for the hosting of meetings.
To oversee the implementation of the Wellington Region Waste Management and Minimisation Plan and its statutory review which is required not more than 6 years after the last review.
Officers responsible for the implementation of the Plan will provide reports and advice to the Committee as required.
Secretariat support for meetings will be provided by the host Council.
Terms of Reference
The Joint Committee will have responsibility and authority to:
- Accept and consider advice and reports on the implementation of the Wellington Region Waste Management and Minimisation Plan (the Plan) and future Wellington Region Waste Management and Minimisation Plans (the Plan)
- Take decisions on the implementation of aspects of the Plan where the matter for decision is not an operational matter that falls under officers’ delegated responsibilities and where the matter is provided for in the Plan and/or budget has been made available by territorial authorities for that matter.
- Monitor and review the management and implementation of the Plan.
- Report back to territorial authorities of the Wellington region on any aspect of the implementation of the Plan, including: recommendations for funding projects of the Plan, recommendations for the management of the Plan; and reports on the effectiveness of the Plan.
- Report back to the territorial authorities with any recommended amendments to the Plan and/or recommended variations to the Terms of Reference of the Committee
The Joint Committee on the Wellington Region Waste Management and Minimisation Plan will have delegated authority to carry out activities within its terms of reference.
Adopted by Wellington City Council on 30 September 2016.