Install a Solid Fuel Heater or Fireplace

You need a building consent to install a solid fuel heater or fireplace (new, replacement, in-built or free-standing).

Apply for a consent

To apply for a consent to install a solid fuel heater or fireplace, use the form below:

Minor Works Consent Application Form  (114KB PDF) | Text version (311KB DOC)

Fees Building Consent Fees (981KB PDF)
Time frame

We process building consents within 20 working days.

This time frame may be affected if the application:

  • is incomplete
  • does not include all the right information.
More information Building Consent - Apply

Wood burners

Wood burners installed after 1 September 2005 must comply with Resource Management regulations.

National Environmental Standard for Wood Burners - Ministry for the Environment

Heat pumps

You don't need any Council consents or permits to have a heat pump installed. You can add the cost of installing heating to your rates bill - for more information see:

GW's Offer - Greater Wellington Regional Council