These awards are designed to recognise volunteer groups making valuable contributions to their communities. They are supported by the Wellington Airport, in partnership with Wellington Community Trust, Wellington City Council and the four other local councils.
The awards reward the valuable contribution made by volunteers. You may nominate any not-for-profit group or organisation working in the interests of the community, including one of which you are a member. The Awards are designed to recognise past achievements and do not exclude community groups who use professionals to support the delivery of services undertaken by volunteers.
Nominations for 2017
Nominations for the 2017 Community Awards close on 31 May 2017, and can be made online on the Community Awards website.
The awards have five categories:
- Arts & Culture - Enhance and increase participation in arts and creative leisure activities
- Education & Child/Youth Development - Improvement or enhancement of the educational and social development of children / youth
- Health & Wellbeing - Enhancing the health and wellbeing of our community
- Heritage & Environment - Improvement or revitalising of the environment, culture or heritage
- Sport & Leisure - Increase participation and enjoyment in physical sport, leisure activities and recreational pursuits
Rising Star award
The Rising Star award is designed to recognise and encourage emerging and grass-roots groups doing great things in our community. To qualify, the groups or projects need to have been in operation for less than two years (after April 2014), be 100% volunteer run, be new to our Community Awards, and not part of a national organisation.
2016 categories and award recipients
Arts and Culture
Enhance and increase participation in arts and creative leisure activities.
- Winner – CubaDupa.
- Runner up – Migrating Kitchen Trust.
Educational and Child / Youth Development
Improvement or enhancement of the educational and social development of children or youth.
- Winner – InsideOUT.
- Runner up – LearnCOACH.
Health and Well-being
Enhancing the health and wellbeing of our community.
- Winner – Skylight Trust.
- Runner up – Wellington Timebank.
Heritage and Environment
Improvement or revitalising of the environment, culture or heritage.
- Winner – Wellington Indian Association.
- Runner up – Lilburn Residence Trust.
Sport and Leisure
Increase participation and enjoyment in physical sport, leisure activities and recreational pursuits.
- Winner – Brooklyn Trail Builders.
- Runner up – Parafed.
Rising Star Award
Chosen to recognise and encourage new or smaller groups doing great things in our community.
- Winner – Kava Club.
- Runner up – RUCK Cancer.
CubaDupa – the Creative Capital Arts Trust
CubaDupa is an annual festival of Wellington’s much-loved Cuba Street, transforming the popular creative precinct into a magical interactive playground of performance, sound and taste across two days. The 2016 event, CubaDupa’s second, was held March 19–20.
The judges praised CubaDupa for the large volunteer base at the heart of the festival, and the collaborative nature of the event bringing together diverse performers, organisations and attendees from around the region and beyond.
View the full list of 2016 nominations.
Contact Mark Farrar.