Notify the City Events team if you are organising an activity or event that may:
- affect vehicle or pedestrian traffic
- increase traffic to a specific area (concerts, sports)
- require a road or footpath closure (parades, marches, runs, rallies)
- require signage next to a road.
Events on the waterfront
You can make a booking request to hold an event at one of the following locations:
Book a Wellington Waterfront venue
These venues are free to non-profit organisations, community events and charity events.
For more information, contact:
Toby Acheson, Senior Advisor
Events − Logistics and Venues
Permission to use a road or footpath
Any organisation, business or individual who is planning an activity that requires closure of a vehicle lane, parking area or footpath needs permission from the Council. This could apply to the following activities:
- a protest, march or rally
- a parade, street celebration or cultural event
- a race or run.
Apply for permission
To apply for permission, contact the Street Activities Coordinator to discuss your activity.
We take about 10 working days to process requests for simple closures. Complex closures can take much longer, depending on the scale of your event.
Fees may apply to recover administration and planning costs.
Street Activities Coordinator
Once you have applied for permission, a meeting is arranged with either the City Events team or Road Protection team to review any other requirements that are relevant to your event. These may include:
- traffic and pedestrian management plans
- emergency management plans
- risk management issues
- health and safety
- public liability insurance.
This checklist is to help organisers of community events. Some of the things in this list may not be appropriate for every event, but using a checklist like this can help organisers plan ahead.