Service Centre

You can do most of your Council business at our Service Centre.

Reduced service

We are running a reduced service at 101 Wakefield Street due to the impact of the 14 November earthquake on our service centre.
Avoid queues
- For Council invoices such as rates, parking fines, parking permits and parking coupons, use Pay online.
- Get new rubbish bags, recycling bags and glass crates from Johnsonville, Kilbirnie, Newtown and Tawa libraries.
- See a problem in the city? Use our online Fix It form.

Wellington City Council Service Centre

Location map.


Phone 04 499 4444
Fax 04 801 3013
Street Address Ground floor, 101 Wakefield Street (Civic Square)
Monday – Friday

8am – 5pm (closed public holidays)


Contact us online

If you'd like to let us know something or have a question, use one of our online forms or send us an email: Contact Us

How we can help you at the Service Centre

As well as finding Council information there, you can:

  • pay rates, Council housing rents, water meter bills, any other Council payments or loan repayments
  • register dogs
  • buy rubbish bags, and green crates for glass recycling
  • buy SmartPark cards and parking coupons
  • buy water containers
  • get information about Council facilities including pools, the landfill and rubbish collections
  • apply and pay for a fire permit for an urban or coastal area (or if you're a developer)
  • apply and pay for building consents, resource consents, health and alcohol licensing
  • apply and pay for land information memorandums, property reports, and building information reports
  • report problems or faults with Council services.
You can do most of your Council business at our Service Centre.

You can do most of your Council business at our Service Centre


Ways you can pay

We accept the following forms of payment:

  • cash
  • Visa, MasterCard and American Express credit cards for some services (see below)
  • cheques and money orders - only for Council services and invoices (you can also post these)

Credit card payments

You can pay for the following using your Visa, MasterCard or American Express:

  • monthly and daily coupon parking
  • refuse bags
  • recycling bins
  • GIS plans
  • drainage plans
  • sandwich boards
  • fire permits
  • encroachment permits
  • SmartPark

You cannot pay for the following with your credit card:

  • water rates
  • Council housing rent
  • property rates

Other options

Branch libraries

At the Newtown, Kilbirnie, Johnsonville, and Tawa branch libraries you can:

  • buy rubbish bags, recycling bags, green crates for glass recycling, and parking coupons
  • pick up information and forms.

Branches - Wellington City Libraries


At your local PostShop you can use cash, cheque or EFTPOS to pay:

  • any barcoded Council invoice
  • Council housing rent
  • dog registration
  • sundry debtor invoices.

PostShop Locator - NZ Post

Online payments

You can pay your rates online with your credit card.

Payment Options