Read the information on this page, then register and apply online through our funding portal: Funding Portal - Apply Online
Check your application status
If you've already applied for funding, you can log in to the funding portal to check the status of your application or add information.
Go to Funding Portal
About community events sponsorship
Proposals are considered on an annual basis. Contact us if you would like to discuss community event sponsorship outside of this timing. Find out when the Community Events Sponsorship is open: Funding Calendar
Community Events Sponsorship helps community events to succeed in Wellington through facilitation, partnering and advocating.
Our definition of a Community Event is where the target audience is a particular community or celebrates a particular community (geographic communities or communities with a shared interest or culture).
Past allocations (47KB)
- To ensure that Wellington fosters diversity and culture within the community
- To support a vibrant community and cultural events programme
- To encourage community events and cultural festivals that contribute to local identity, social cohesion and resilience
To find out more about the criteria, see the application guide: Community events sponsorship guide (59KB PDF)
You can apply if:
2. Audience demographic
Your event is:
- Wellington-based and mainly benefits the community of Wellington
- attracts an audience greater than 1000 people
- accessible to diverse audiences and the wider community.
3. Financial sustainability
A percentage of your event income is self-generated and/or external funding (sponsorship and grants) is gained.
4. Cost to the public
Your event is free to attend or low-priced.
Your organisers, contractors and sub-contractor are experienced and have a good reputation of event delivery and event safe practices.
As an applicant, you can provide evidence of sound financial management, good employment practice, clear and detailed planning and reporting processes.
6. Council’s strategic and event policy outcomes
We support events that make a positive contribution to the Council’s strategic and event policy outcomes.
To be eligible your event needs to connect to one or more outcomes of the Council's Events Policy, within the application we ask you to provide some specific outcomes and a description of how you will know whether you have been successful:
Events Policy community events outcomes:
- Events that partner with mana whenua to develop, promote and deliver cultural events that profile mana whenua
- Events that support communities in creating their distinctive character
- Strive to be an environmentally friendly event and sustainable in the long term
- Events that promote inclusive, tolerant and strong communities
- Events that contribute and celebrates the arts
Senior Advisor City Events