The card helps people access recreational services when price might otherwise be a barrier.
You can qualify for the card if you are a Wellington city resident and if you meet one or more of the following criteria:
- a Community Services Card holder
- have a permanent disability
- have a Residents Visa and arrived in New Zealand in the last 18 months
- on the green prescription (GRx) scheme
- a SuperGold Card holder
- a Wellington City Housing tenant.
The Leisure Card will give you access to the following discounts at Wellington City Council facilities:
- Wellington pools – 50% discount on entry and 20% discount on Learn to Swim and fitness centre memberships (excludes Khandallah Summer Pool)
- Wellington recreation centres – 50% discount on entry and up to 20% discount on programmes
- Wellington City Libraries – 50% discount on all reserves, CD and DVD loans. Excludes items from the Select: Sound & Vision Collection.
Apply for or renew a Leisure Card
1. Check that you have proof of eligibility
To apply for the first time or to renew your Leisure Card you must have the following:
- proof you live in Wellington, eg a recent bill showing your name and address (you can just cut the top off the bill and show us that)
- new applicants only - a head and shoulders photo of yourself*
You will also need to provide ONE of the following:
- a photocopy of both sides of your Community Services or SuperGold card
- a Green Prescription referral
- a recent letter from Work and Income, dated within the last 6 months, that shows your name, address and client number
- a photocopy of entry date stamp in passport, and resident visa
- a letter from your health professional stating that you have a permanent disability
- proof of City Housing tenancy
* We can take this for you at any Wellington City Council swimming pool, the Service Centre on Wakefield Street and Smart Newtown (next to Newtown Library).
If you are applying online and need scanned copies of your documents, you can take them to Central library and a staff member will scan them and email them to you for a small charge.
All eligibility proof can be free posted to us (see form) or emailed to us at email@example.com
2. Are you a SuperGold Card holder or have a permanent disability?
SuperGold card holders and those with a permanent disability are eligible for lifelong Leisure Card membership and only need to apply once.
3. Complete the form:
Apply or renew online
Or you can print this form, complete it and send it in to us: Leisure Card Brochure and Form (525KB PDF)
Enrolment forms are also available at libraries, pools, and recreation centres.
Using the Leisure Card
You can use the Leisure Card as many times as you want. The card is valid for 1 year. After that, if your circumstances have not changed, you can apply to renew for an additional year. We still need proof you are eligible but we do not need a new photo. Send us:
- a copy of your Community Services card or a recent letter from Work and Income
- proof you still live in Wellington
Lost Leisure Card
If you've lost your Leisure Card, contact the Leisure Card coordinator (see below).
Leisure Card Coordinator