This controversial building has dominated this area of the waterfront since 1939.
An imposing structure, it was originally ﬁve storeys high, but a tennis court on top of the building was removed and replaced with another ﬂoor.
Designed by Edmund Anscombe, the building is almost without decoration but for a surprising Moderne ﬂourish on the south-western corner, repeated, slightly less grandly, on the eastern end.
The ground- ﬂoor foyer features some typical Art Deco chromium and plaster effects.
As part of a conversion into ﬂats that started in 2004, major alterations were planned for the building, including considerable changes to windows on the seaside elevations.
Image reference: Duncan Winder Collection, Alexander Turnbull Library