The Departmental Building was completed in 1940 and up to that point was the biggest ofﬁce building ever erected in Wellington. It was needed to ease the pressure on accommodation of the civil service in Wellington.
The building was designed by Government Architect John Mair and built by Fletcher Construction. Numerous Government departments have come and gone and today just one major tenant, the New Zealand Defence Force, remains.
In 1985–86 the original stone facing was removed and replaced with a white stone chip aggregate, partly made from the original Putaruru stone. The building acquired some fame as the “face” of television programmes Gliding On and Market Forces. Its broad, sweeping Moderne facade is a splendid complement to its contemporary neighbour, the State Insurance Building.
Image reference: Alexander Turnbull Library F15910 1/1