Anscombe Flats is named for Edmund Anscombe (1873–1948) one of New Zealand’s most distinguished 20th century architects.
He bought the land in 1933, at the age of 60 and by then widowed, and planned to sell the apartments and live on the top ﬂoor.
The building was completed in 1937 and Anscombe lived there until his death in 1948.
This is one of three celebrated apartment buildings he designed in Wellington. The Moderne style of the building is well demonstrated in the rounded corners and moulded window hoods. The semi-circular penthouse ﬂoor is a particular delight, although it was altered in 2002.