Access and permits

Find out about getting permission to carry out certain activities in our parks and reserves.

Landowner Approval Permits

Use this form to request temporary access (maximum 28 days for townbelt/40 days for other reserves) to a Wellington City Council park or open space. Try to schedule your project during the summer, as winter access is limited in some sites.

Request temporary access

Use this form whenever a helicopter operates in, lands on, or carries a load over a Wellington City Council park or open space.

Request helicopter access

Free barbecues

We have barbeques for you to use at some of our parks and reserves. These are free, easy to use and available all year round.

Barbecues at parks and reserves

Permits for research and collection

You need to get the Council's permission to conduct research and/or collect material in Wellington City parks and reserves.

Parks research and collection permits

Recreation leases and licences

Community and recreation groups can apply to leases and licences for Council land and buildings at a subsidised cost.

Recreation leases and licences


Dogs are welcome on the Town Belt, but must be kept on leads. Owners are responsible for cleaning up after their dogs.