Councils are responsible for providing a number of services that are essential to keeping everyone healthy and safe.
These services include ensuring households have safe drinking water, that the waste water system keeps operating, rubbish is collected, burials and cemeteries can take place, essential roading and safety repairs are made and flood protection is being monitored.
Key functions are:
- A functioning, resilient and reliable three waters infrastructure
- The city’s core transport infrastructure is a safe, resilient, reliable network
- An accelerating zero-carbon and waste-free transition
- Wellington has affordable, resilient and safe housing
- The city has resilient and fit-for-purpose community, creative and cultural spaces
- Strong partnerships with mana whenua.
Significant projects include:
- Let’s Get Wellington Moving
- Paneke Pōneke – Bike Network Plan
- District Plan
- Te Ngākau Civic Precinct including Town Hall/National Centre for Music
- Tākina – The Wellington Convention and Exhibition Centre
- Sludge and Waste Minimisation
- Three waters infrastructure investment, including CBD Wastewater Pump Station and Rising Main Projects
Where do your rates go?
Rates funding for the service areas we provide, per $100 of total rates: