Giving written approval for a resource consent application

Find out about what happens if you're asked to give written approval for a resource consent application that affects you.

How it works

You're considered an 'affected party' to a resource consent if we decide the proposal will have an effect on your property (for example, by shading your house).

You may be asked by the applicant to provide your written approval as part of their application, or be invited to have your say once the application has been submitted if the Council deems you to be an affected party.

What you need to know

  • If you agree to provide written approval, we can't take the effect on your property into account when we evaluate the resource consent application.
  • You can only provide unconditional written approval. If there are aspects of the proposal you're not happy with, talk to the applicant to see if you can reach a compromise – for example, by making a deck lower or moving a window to another wall.
  • If you're not sure whether to give your approval, we recommend you seek independent advice.
  • You don't have to provide approval, and you don't have to give a reason if you choose not to.
  • If you choose not to give your approval, you may have the opportunity to make a submission on the resource consent application if it's notified.

Making a submission on a resource consent application

Providing written approval

Complete the form and give it to the applicant to submit with their resource consent application.

Get written approval from affected persons (56KB PDF)

You will also need to sign:

  • the resource consent application
  • each page of the plans included with the application.

If you change your mind

You can withdraw your written consent at any time before the resource consent is granted.

If you want to withdraw your written consent, contact us at

Contact us

The Resource Consents team is available Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.

Phone: 04 801 3590