All resource consent fees

The full list of resource consent fees and when they apply.

Resource consent application fees

The fees you pay for a resource consent application depend on the type and scope of the work you're proposing. To work out how much your application might cost, you may first need to talk to a professional and prepare your initial plans.

How resource consent fees work

Initial application fee

Non-notified consent: land use


Non-notified consent: subdivision


Non-notified consent: subdivision and land use


Limited notified consent: subdivision and/or land use


Publicly notified consent: subdivision and/or land use


Boundary activity


Marginal or temporary activities (fixed fee)


Change or cancellation of resource consent conditions (s127 RMA) $1352
Certificate of compliance (s139A RMA)
Existing use certificate (s10 RMA)
Extension of time (s125 RMA) 
Change or cancellation of consent notices (s221 RMA)
Amalgamation (s241 RMA)
Creation of a right of way easement (s243 RMA or s348 LGA) or similar
Outline plan of works (s176A RMA)
Outline plan of works waiver (s176A(2)(c) RMA)

Certificates for businesses

For up to 2 hours for a planner or an advisor, and 1 hour admin:

  • Town Planning
  • Sale of Liquor
  • Overseas Investments
  • LMVD


Compliance monitoring fees

Monitoring compliance with conditions of a resource consent: subdivision or land use – minimum of 1 hour, then per hour thereafter


Monitoring administration, per hour administrative officer

Cost of disbursements – for example, materials, consultant investigations

Based on actual cost

Subdivision certificates

You'll need to obtain certificates that confirm your survey plan has been approved and meets the conditions of your consent.

Certification for s224(c) – up to 6 hours


Certification for s223, s224(f), s226 – up to 2 hours


Combination of 2 or more certificates – up to 6 hours


All other Resource Management Act (RMA), Building Act, Unit Titles Act and LGA certificates, sealing and transferring documents – up to 2 hours

Disbursements – for example, photocopying, postage – will be charged separately


Preparation and/or release of bonds – up to 2 hours


Applications relating to signs

Assessment of bylaw applications for signs (for example, commercial sex premises) – up to 6 hours


Other fees that may apply

You may also need to pay some or all of the following charges, depending on the project.

Administration, disbursements and pre-application meetings

All pre-application meetings: planner and advisors

$201.50 per hour per officer

All consents: planner and advisors $201.50 per hour per officer
All consents: administrative officer
$117 per hour

Cost of all disbursements – for example, venue hire, photocopying, catering, postage, public notification

Based on actual cost

External resource / specialist consultants (including consultant planners)

Based on actual cost

Independent Commissioners

Based on actual costs

Premium applications – by request

For some non-notified consents, you may be able to pay extra to have your consent processed faster. These are called premium applications, and they're accepted on a case-by-case basis. Email to find out if your project is eligible.

Non-notified consents issued within 10 working days

2 x the total processing fees incurred

Non-notified consents issued within 5 working days

3 x the total processing fees incurred

Development contributions

You may need to pay development contributions of you're doing a subdivision, or building a new dwelling or commercial space.

These fees are assessed after the application is lodged.

Development contributions